Dear Chess Parents,
We here at Chess ‘n Math Association share your concerns regarding the CoVID-19 (coronavirus) and would like to inform you about the precautions we are taking to ensure your safety, health and well-being. As the situation evolves, we continue to take proactive steps to ensure safety of our students while minimizing potential impacts to our chess programs.
The following activities have been cancelled and postponed until further notice:
- Youth Chess League as of Saturday March 14th
- Kanata/Barrhaven Chess Club as of March 15th
- Centertown Chess Club as of March 24th
- School/Community Chess Lessons as of March 16th
- March Break Chess Camp March 16th to 20th
We will keep you updated on all other cancellations as this information becomes available.
We here at Chess ‘n Math Association always strive to ensure that all chess lessons whether at our offices or other locations as well as in schools are completed on a timely basis. Any lessons that are missed will be made up. If time does not allow for those lessons to be made-up you will be advised of the actions we will be taking.
A decision regarding the Ontario Chess challenge and the Canadian Chess Challenge will be made on April 1st, 2020. In the meantime, the Chess‘n Math Association recommends not to make any travel plans to those 2 events.
In order to ensure safety for yourself and others, we ask anyone who feels unwell or has travelled in one of the countries or regions at risk not to attend our chess program until they have fully recovered or have waited out the isolation period. We have implemented a number of measures to protect our students, instructors and other staff members, including but not limited to the following:
- Increasing the frequency of cleaning and sanitizing of our chess sets;
- Encouraging frequent hand-washing and maintaining a sanitary environment in our chess programs;
- Encouraging any students who aren’t well to stay home, and;
- Replacing handshakes with salutes to minimize contact
To help protect yourself and others from possible infection, health officials recommend that everyone follows the precautions stipulated as follows:
- wash your hands frequently and well with soap and warm water;
- use alcohol-based hand sanitizer;
- avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth;
- cough or sneeze into your elbow, or cover your cough or sneeze;
- avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness;
- stay home if you are sick and avoid contact with others;
- if you are sick, contact a health care provider about your symptoms and inform them of your travel history.
Hopefully this advisory should provide you all with a peace of mind as we strive to continue providing our chess programs to the students in the midst of the crisis. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly.
Thank you, and we hope to see you at our chess programs again soon!
Symptoms of CoVID-19 include:
- Difficulty Breathing/pneumonia-like symptoms